So you need a photographer?
There will be so many times that come up that you may find yourself in need of photographer. Let me give you some tips on what to look for in your search for the perfect one.
As you probably realize now that you've started looking, there are tons of photographers in every area. Many of them may not even show up in a Google search, that doesn't mean they are bad photographers, could just mean they need to learn more about ranking their business. It can be overwhelming trying to choose out of so many, so how do you choose?
- What do you need photographed? This is a good place to start. Some photographers specialize in just a couple of things. Some love weddings, some love newborns, families, couples or events. I personally have recently started to specialize in mainly families and newborns. It is what I love most, they both get my creative juices flowing and focusing more on just the two of these allow me to focus all of my attention them. Some photographers may do a little bit of everything, I've done it all as well but sometimes you'd rather have someone specialize in exactly what you are looking for.
- Check out their websites and social media accounts. Every photographer has their own style when it comes to shooting, the way they see light, the way the edit, etc. Some photographers focus mainly on portraits where everyone is looking and saying "cheeeeeeese" and some photographers like myself, focus more on the emotion, the story telling and the things that happen naturally. Some people would rather come with a list of certain shots that they would like and go through the check list.
- What kind of editing are you drawn to? Some photographers edit "Light and Airy" some edit more "Moody" I love warm, bold colors so my editing tends to reflect that.
- How much would you like to Invest? You can find a photographer who charges $50 and you can find photographers who charge $1,500 and all in between. Photographers who are a legal business and have professional equipment, have invested in education etc. will be more but I promise you,, it will be worth it. At the end of the day, you know your budget and what you can afford, but try to to get to "stuck" on the price. Some moments will never happen again, and capturing those moments is so worth it.
- Be sure your personalities mesh. It is important that you actually like your photographer. Its important that you are comfortable with one another and that the photographer is comfortable giving you and your family prompts when needed at the session.
- Looking for a Newborn photographer? Newborn photography is not something you want a beginner photographer doing if they have not taken the proper newborn safety classes. Your babies safety should be the number one concern. It takes a lot of time and patience to be a newborn photographer, but it's one of my absolute favorite things to photograph.
If you follow these tips, you are sure to find the perfect photographer for your needs, especially if her name is Ashley Baldwin. Just kidding, kinda.